Sky TV has been enjoyed by millions of people for years. From blockbuster movies to award-winning series, the digital service provides heaps of quality content to keep us entertained.
The box has evolved over the years from the standard system to the all-new Sky Q box with its voice-activated control and multi-room features. Watching TV has never been so easy and efficient!
From time to time, viewers may encounter some problems when trying to watch their TV, such as finding that their Sky TV will not come on, or that your box, simply will not respond.
We have created this quick tutorial of different ways to resolve the problems you may be having.
Sky will not turn on: Hard reset
If you find that your system does not respond when you switch it on, firstly take these steps to action a full reboot.
- Switch your system off at the mains so there is no power going to your box.
- Ensure that the power light is not on and if you have any devices attached to your box make sure they are switched off, too.
- Allow three minutes to pass, then re-power the box.
- Wait another three minutes.
- Tap the “Sky” button on the remote control.
- Wait for a green light to show. This displays that your Sky box’s technical fault has been solved.
Sky box: Power reset
If you are still experiencing problems and you find that your system is not responding, you can try a power reset by following the steps below.
- Switch both the Sky box and your TV off at the main power supply.
- Make sure that there are no lights showing on your system’s front panel.
- Switch the TV and Sky box back on at the mains. Wait for a red light to indicate that the box is now is standby mode.
- Allow five minutes to pass before switching your TV back on with the remote control.
- Press the Sky button on the remote control.
- If this has been successful, you should see a “welcome” screen.
My Sky remote control is not responding
You may find that your controller is not working because the batteries may be running low. This can cause the box to not turn on, simply replacing the batteries can fix this issue.
If you find that the Sky box is not responding, this could be because you have pressed the “TV” button, press the “Sky” button to activate your Sky system.
How to update my Sky software
System problems can be caused if your box is in need of a software update, this can be achieved by taking the following quick steps.
- Turn off the Sky box. Long-press the “Backup” button – you will find this on the front of your Sky box.
- Whilst holding the button down, turn your Sky system back on.
- Keep holding the button down until the lights display.
- Release the button after the lights have flashed.
- Allow 10 minutes to pass whilst the download and installation process takes place.
How to reset your box fully
A full system reset can be used to resolve problems with your system. However, this will cause you to lose all of your recordings. If you do not mind losing your recordings, follow the tutorial below.
- Power off the box at the mains.
- Tap the left and right direction buttons on each side of the “select” key on the Sky controller.
- Hold the arrow buttons down and switch the system back on.
- Still holding the buttons, shortly you should see a blue and green light display.
- Let go of the buttons and now tap “select” two times.
- The lights should now circulate on the front of the box and the “record” light should now display by flashing.
- Wait for the lights to go off.
- Allow a few minutes to pass, then switch your system on with the controller.
LNB settings are important when it comes to the Sky Q box. These settings on the system will alter whether your box can connect via satellite signal. In some cases, if your box is not responding, there may be a problem with your LNB (Low-Noise Block Downconverter). Here’s how to locate the settings using the remote control:
Press “select” > “settings” > “advanced settings” > LNB settings.